My wife and I are white. We adopted our wonderful African American children at birth. We strive daily to help our son grow up to be a confident, proud and loving black man and our daughter to be a confident, proud and loving black woman. I hope our experiences will help others who are doing the same.

Friday, May 14, 2010

And Justice for All at Henry Ford Museum







I accompanied my son Jacob to Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford Museum yesterday with his 5th grade classmates.  The following are photos the Jacob mostly took of the And Justice for All exhibit at the Henry Ford Museum.



Jacob and a friend watch a tribute to Jackie Robinson, #42 narrated by Ernie Harwell and featuring my favorite Tiger - Gates "The Gator" Brown. The boys sat and watched the entire program which is not normal for ten year old boys on a field trip. Considering Ernie just past away, this was a very moving moment for us at the Henry Ford Museum.







Jacob sitting in the exact seat that Rosa Parks sat in.

















It is always difficult and moving when I visit exhibits such as this one with my Jacob and Antonia. I remember when we viewed a life sized sculpture of a family of slaves being seperated at the Abraham Lincoln Museum in Springfield and Jacob just started to cry uncontrollably. I feel strongly that these hard lessons while difficult for all of us, help develop Jacob's and Antonia's character and a shared understanding of their and our heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment