My wife and I are white. We adopted our wonderful African American children at birth. We strive daily to help our son grow up to be a confident, proud and loving black man and our daughter to be a confident, proud and loving black woman. I hope our experiences will help others who are doing the same.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Shaka



Shaka Zulu - The Complete 10 Part Television Epic




I rented Shaka Zulu over the summer to watch with my children.  It was certainly evident from the two episodes that we watched that the story was being told from an English viewpoint.  Later I learned that it was written by Joshua Sinclair for the South African Broadcasting Corporation during the height of Apartheid.  I couldn't help but wonder about the story from a Zulu perspective.  Though at the time Shaka did not see the necessity of the written word since his messengers were under the penalty of death if they did not convey the King's exact message.


I was looking for a movie about an African King when I selected it, having a vague recollection of watching it 24 years ago.  While my twelve year old son enjoyed the cultural dress of the time, we lost interest after the second episode and did not complete the ten part series.  I find often that the movies I grew up with move at a snails pace compared to the techno driven green screen epics of today.  Please let me know if you know of good movies or books about African royalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment