My wife and I are white. We adopted our wonderful African American children at birth. We strive daily to help our son grow up to be a confident, proud and loving black man and our daughter to be a confident, proud and loving black woman. I hope our experiences will help others who are doing the same.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Kevin Hofmann's Upcoming Memoir and Rhonda Roorda's first book





One of our readers suggested I look at Kevin Hofmann's site which discusses his soon to be published memoir about growing up as an adopted African American in an all white family in Detroit after the riots. It will be published in May. I am working on a book signing/speaking engagement for the greater East Lansing area. Take a look at his blog it is a very worthwhile site. Kevin is a gifted writer.  Also, let me know if you would be interested in attending the book signing/speaking engagement.




Covering a similar time period - 70's and 80's - as Kevin Hofmann's memoir, is Rhonda Roorda's book of profiles of adopted African American children growing up in primarily white households - In Their Own Voices. I recommend reading this book. I read it when we first adopted our son and it has helped my wife and I strive to raise our children to be a strong, kind and confident African American man and woman who are comfortable with their blackness. 


Hi recommend reading Voices especially early in the adoption process. However, I find many differences with the varied stories with my own situation.  For example, closed adoption versus open adoption, white siblings or biological siblings versus black siblings or adopted siblings and level of information available to parents like us now compared to growing up in the 70's or 80's. But I'm sure that is the case with everything - we all have unique situations.  Despite this differences there is much to glean from Rhonda's well researched initial offering.  She has since wrote two additional books - In Their Siblings Voices and In Their Parents Voices which I have yet to read.

Please keep sharing sites and resources that you find and I will continue to share them through the this Blog and its Facebook Page. This is exactly what I hope both to become - conduits for sharing useful information.


No comments:

Post a Comment